参与人数 2参与分 +6 收起 理由
陈近南 + 1 努力
jasonp + 5 辛苦nut兄了

查看全部评分

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-9-25 15:45 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 nut 于 2009-9-25 21:02 编辑

Jerry说:

Tom Marringer has recently posted some very interesting and cogent discussions on tactical/fighting knife systems. Since his approach is quite different from mine I thought it might be useful to open a discussion thread wherein we could air the various attributes of "tactical" knives, their design, and the manner in which they are used. Just so there is no misunderstanding of my purpose in starting this thread, I'm a great admirer of Tom's work, both his innovation of the modern tactical knife in the 1980's (my first awareness of them anyway) and his more recent technical advances in how they can be made, carried and deployed.
Tom Marringer最近发表了一些关于战术/格斗刀(tactical/fighting)系统的有趣和有说服力的讨论。 既然他的方法和我的有很大不同,我想开个帖子讨论一下“战术”刀具的设计、使用方法是很有用的。不要误解我开这个帖子的目的,我很尊重Tom的工作,包括20世纪80年代他关于现代战术刀具的革新(我刚刚对战术刀有意识),还有他最近的关于战术刀具制造,携带,出刀的技术提升。

While there is a great deal of agreement in our design goals for a tactical knife, I think Tom and I approach it very differently and probably have a different midset when we begin the design process. I don't think there is any doubt that Tom's approach is more disciplined and thoughfully engineered than mine. Tom designs a knife and makes it. I set out to design a knife and maybe 50 iterations and a couple years later I might get it to where I like it. The sole exception to my approach was my Retribution model which was designed the week after 9-11 and hasn't changed much since. In that case I just knew what the knife had to be and do.
在我们的战术刀设计目的方面会有很多的一致,我想Tom和我会有不同的方式完成它,并且当我们开始设计过程的时候,我们有不同的思维模式。 我想,毫无疑问Tom的方法比我的更有纪律性和考虑周到的。Tom设计刀并且制作。 我着手开始设计一把刀,也许会有50次反复,几年之后才能完成它。唯一的例外就是我的Retribution型号,在911之后一个星期我设计完成,并且至今没怎么修改。这件事上我知道这刀应该是什么样子的。

Now, after taking the liberty of talking about what I think are the differences between our processes, I'll let Tom speak for himself and focus more on what I think and do in that process, and why.
现在,开始谈谈我认为的我们的不同之处。我将会让Tom自己来介绍他怎样想,怎样做,为什么这么想这么做。

My introduction to tactical knives was the result of some contacts I had in the Filipino Martial Arts community who saw some promise in what I was making and calling a tactical knife a dozen or so years ago, which led to my gaining a small understanding of what they wanted in a knife and how it needed to perform. I'll freely admit that my understanding of tactical knives may be flawed, but many "tactical" people continue to want my knives so some of what was said must have stuck.
我制作战术刀的之路,是很多年之前,我与Filipino Martial Arts community的接触,答应他们制作战术刀具,这使我知道他们想要一把什么样的刀和如何制作。我必须承认我对于战术刀的理解是有缺陷的,但是许多“战术”人士不断需要我的刀,所以我还得坚持我所说的

Some of my design philosophy is the result of being self-taught in how to make knives. As many people know I grind upside down, meaning edge down. Most knifemakers grind edge up. In truth I do some of both, but all my primary edges are ground edge down with my focus on the grind line and worrying about getting the edge centered and thinned at the end of the process. This approach tends to remove more steel in the middle of the blade than doing it the right way. Early on, I often removed too much steel in the middle of the blade and was able to see the grinding wheel peeking through from the other side. That happens less often now but it does happen.
我的设计理念是通过制作刀具的过程中自学的。如很多人所知,我grind upside down, 意思是 edge down。很多刀匠grind edge up。 实际上我两样都做,但是我的刀的主刃是ground edge down的,因为我关注在研磨线(grind line),担心它们最后edge centered and thinned。这个方法有助于在刀的中部去掉更多的钢材。早些时候,我经常过多的磨掉刀片中部的钢材,从另一侧看到研磨轮。现在发生的少了,但是还是会有。

The happy result of this is that I end up with very light blades that can retain a thick spine through most of their length and an edge that can be as heavy duty as I can to make it.
非常高兴的结果就是我的刀很轻,但是可以保持厚的刀脊(spine),它们的长度和刀锋可以胜任很重的工作

I also use a full tang method of construction with the tang tapered as much as I dare without having too much warpage when it's heat treated. Again, this reduces weight. Light weight is always my first focus in making a tactical knife. I complete agree with Tom that a light knife moving very fast can cut at least as well as a heavy blade moving more slowly. It also lessens the problem of inertia allowing the blade to be redirected easily and quickly.
我采用渐薄(tang tapered)的全龙骨(full tang)结构,这样在热处理的时候不会有太多的翘曲。同时这样减轻了重量。重量轻是我做一把战术刀时最关注的地方。我非常同意Tom,一把轻的刀和一把重的刀完成同样的切割动作,可以更快速。它也很容易和快速地解决了在刀在重新指向时遇到的惯性问题。

So, Tom's 7" fighter ends up at about 8oz. because of careful design and advanced construction methods. My 7" fighter ends up at 8oz. because I do it wrong. Both end up with the balance exactly on the forefinger. Tom's because he planned it that way. Mine because it just happens to work out that way about everytime and I'm not exactly sure why. (I guess I'm still talking about what Tom does, but it's intended to highlight how differently I do it.)
所以,Tom的7寸格斗刀重量大约8 oz,因为细致的设计和先进的制作方法。我的7寸格斗刀也是8oz,因为我做错了。它们的平衡点都在食指位置,Tom是这么计划的。而我是因为我每次做完都恰好是那个位置,我也不确定为什么。(我猜我一直在讲Tom怎么做,这只是要强调我做的是多么的不同)

For the record, I don't recommend people stop grinding edge up and grind edge down. Unless you have 5-6 years to learn how to do it reliably, it can be very frustrating. It took me about 15 years because I'm mechaniclly inept, thick headed and normally frustrated anyway.
我不推荐人们停止grinding edge up,去grind edge down。除非你有5、6年的时间去学习怎么可靠的制作,这是非常烦人的。它花去了我15年的时间,因为我对机械很愚钝,头大,经常失败。

In any case, the way I learned to make knives, and the only way I know how to make knives, has led to my designing knives that take advantage of what that construction method gives me.
不管怎样,我学习制作刀具,我知道如何制造刀具,这些方法通过利用刀的结构方式指导我的设计。

With that preamble, I'll take a break and get back to specifics later, perhaps after Tom tells me I'm full of crap...
我先歇一会,一会回来,也许Tom会说,你说的是一泡shit

评分

参与人数 1参与分 +5 收起 理由
jasonp + 5 我的权限比较菜,每次最多只能加5分

查看全部评分

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-9-25 15:45 | 显示全部楼层
Tom说

I guess it's my turn...
我猜该轮到我了

I still have a hard time using the word "tactical"... we always used to call them "fighting knives" or "combat knives" in the old days. My recollection is that the word "tactical" was introduced into the custom knife lexicon by Bob Terzoula who along about 1982 or so started making something he called a "tactical folder". Seems like the word has become popular.
我仍然需要很长一段时间来使用“战术”(tactical)这个词。。。在过去的日子里,我一直叫它们“格斗刀”(fighting knives) 或者 战斗刀(combat knives)。 在我的记忆里,“战术”这个词最早是1982年Bob Terzoula引进到定制刀具词典里的,并且制作了他的“战术折刀”。现在看来,这个词变得非常流行。

I came into knifemaking from a sword tradition... living in a household where a fine collection of antique swords also resided. I was able to appreciate fine workmanship long before I ever tried to do it. Being the son of a professional metallurgist, shops and foundries and machinery were in my blood... in our family EVERYBODY made things... so that just seemed natural.
我制作刀具源于刀剑的传统。。。我家有很好的收藏古董刀剑的传统。在我试着去做之前,我非常感激我的手艺传承。做为一个职业铁匠的儿子,工厂、铸造,机械都是在我血液里的。 我家族的每一个人都可以做东西,这看上去是很自然的事情。

I made a few knives completely on my own, but in 1977 I became employed as a knifemaker by AG Russell, making the Morseth knives. So I received training there (in edge-up grinding) and was able to hone my skills at the daily grind over the course of a couple thousand blades. In 1979 I left the Morseth shop to pursue my own course, mostly concentrating on swords. My designs tended to be influenced strongly by historical patterns, but I was already a strong fan of the Japanese tang construction, even for non-oriental styles. I had not yet ventured into modern combat knives.
在我1977年被AG Russell雇佣为刀匠,制作Morseth knives之前,我只自己制作完成了很少的刀具。我在那接受了培训(edge-up grinding),通过日常磨制上千把刀具的课程,我磨练了我的技术。1979年我离开Morseth工厂,从事我自己的事业,主要是刀剑。我的设计受到传统样式的很大影响,但是我是日本刀刀柄结构的粉丝,即使是非东方样式的刀具。但是我还没冒险在现代战斗刀(combat knives)上尝试。

At the New York Custom Knife Show in 1981 I was approached by Bob Angell who seemed to see some promise in my work and asked me to make a couple of custom pieces for him. Bob is a professional gun-leather designer who is well known especially in persoanl security (bodyguard) circles for the innovative and reliable stuff he makes. The piece he was asking me to make was a ten inch blade combat knife designed to be carried concealed. It seemed an outlandish idea at the time, but I built the thing. It had a pull-the-dot snap body screwed into the handle, and a matching stud on the leather sheath. It carried on a leather shoulder rig that Bob made, blade up, strong side... WEIRD! The darn thing worked great! Bob wanted to call it a "Vorpal"... based on the Lewis Carroll poem and was more than happy to let me make more. Problem was that he didn't really want to keep making the leather sheaths for me, and I despaired of trying to duplicate the intricacies of how he made them. The search began for some other material than leather to be able to make a sheath like that. That search ended when we found Kydex and came up with the idea of thermoforming the sheath directly onto the knife blade itself (rather than using a mold). It was the perfect thing!
在1981年的纽约定制刀展上,我认识了Bob Angell,他看到了我的作品,希望我能帮他定制一些刀。Bob是一位专业的gun-leather设计人员(为gun设计皮具),由于他的创新和可靠,他在个人安全(保镖)圈子里非常有名。他让我做的是一把刃长10英寸的战斗刀,而且要便于隐藏携带。在那时,这是很奇异的想法,但是我做了。它有一个pull-the-dot snap body拧进柄里,在皮鞘上有一个matching stud。Bob自己制作的皮制肩带,刀向上,强侧。。。怪异!皮活相当棒!Bob希望叫它“Vorpal”,因为他喜欢Lewis Carroll的诗胜过我给他做的一切。问题在于他不能总为我做刀鞘,并且我也很失望尝试去复制他那些复杂的东西。我们开始研究一些其他的材料代替皮革,后来我们发现了kydex,可以通过热压成型的制作刀鞘(而不是用模子)。 太好了。

So, starting in 1982 I was making those Vorpal knives, based originally on Bob Angell's design but evolving some slight differences over the years... and supplied with the Kydex sheath and nylon shoulder rig. Bob had coached me on the different mindset (new to me) of how to look at a body and look for the places you could hide things... and how the location chosen will determine how large a thing can be hidden... and how various sheaths/scabbards/holsters can be fitted and arranged to make those objects quickly available at need.
所以,我开始在1982年制作这些Vorpal刀,基于Bob Angell的设计,但是经历这么多年也做了一些小的改变,提供kydex的鞘和尼龙肩带。Bob教了我很多不同的思维方式,在身体上怎么寻找可以隐藏东西的地方。位置的选择决定了可以隐蔽多大的东西,不同的刀鞘,装具,枪套配置方法可以保证它们在需要的时候可以快速的响应。

So the whole "tactical" thing from my view embodies this shift from the ancient sword to the modern knife. From the ancient practice of wearing the sword openly to the modern practice of wearing the weapon concealed. The concept of the scabbard as an integral part of the knife came originally from the sword tradition, and continued as part of the concealment paradigm. The transition is seamless.
所以,我关于“战术”的观点都是基于古代刀剑向现代刀具的变迁。从古代刀剑携带的开放到现代刀具的隐蔽携带。装具做为刀的密不可分的一部分,来源于传统刀剑,而且继续做为隐蔽的一部分。

The effort to make knives light arose partly as a counter-effort to a trend I saw in custom knives of making things absurdly heavy. This culminated in a customer requesting I make them a sword with a blade 3/4 inch THICK. It was not a mistake! It would have weighed about 35 pounds and been as effective as a crowbar. I turned down the order, but it occurred to me that I had made a few clunkers myself.
制作轻便的刀具是与趋势相反的,我看到定制刀具都会做的非常的重。 我有个客户要求我做一把剑,有3/4英寸厚。你没看错!它重35磅,可以当撬棍来用。最后我拒绝了这个定单,我想我还没有老糊涂!

In thinking about weight I returned yet again to the Japanese tang construction and really deconstructed it. This is a method that evolved over a period of several hundred years, in a society where steel was precious and combat commonplace. Anything that didn't work would be abandoned, nothing unnecessary would be tolerated. I came to realize that the various parts of the Japanese handle construction... the "tsuka"... that had seemed superfluous were in fact all integrally functional. The blade tang was wide for strength, yet tapered to save steel and weight. The habaki served not only as the seat for the guard, but as a wedge to hold the sword in the scabbard. The wrapping on the handle served not only as a good grip but as a structural binding to keep the handle from splitting. Each part was needed, nothing could be left out, nothing else was required.
考虑到重量,我重新回到日本刀的刀柄结构并且分解它。这种方法历经几百年,在那样的社会,钢材很贵,随时会发生战斗。任何不胜任的东西都会被舍弃,任何不必要的东西都不能容忍。我渐渐认识到日本刀刀柄的不同部分。柄卷(tsuka)看上去是多余的,实际上它是体现了整体的功能。刀茎(blade tang)宽保证强度,但是渐薄的结构节省钢材和减少重量。鎺(habaki)不仅仅加固护手(tsuba,镡),而且本身为楔形,可以保证刀在鞘内的稳固。柄上的正绢提供了很好的握持感,而且也防止刀柄的爆裂。每部分都需要,没有遗漏,没有多余。

But... there was one thing... the pommel or butt cap of the Japanese sword is attached only to the wood of the handle. It is not structurally connected to the tang. This promotes a very light construction, but does not permit any kind of mass or elaboration of the pommel, as might be desirable in a European influenced design. So I came up with a modification of the Japanese tang such that a pommel screw could be used.
但是….有一件事, 日本刀的柄头只是连接在木头柄上,没有连接在刀茎上。这种柄头提供了很轻的结构,但是不像受到欧洲影响的设计那么有吸引力。所以我在日本刀茎上做了修改,这样带螺丝扣的柄头可以使用。

When I recently started making knives again, I revived that "toggle tang" variant of the Japanese tang design, updated the materials to utilize the strength and lightness of titanium furniture, and coupled that with the Vorpal style sheath system in an effort to create the ultimate practical fighter. The idea is to follow the goal wherever it leads, no compromises.
当我最近又开始做刀的时候,我萌生了基于日本刀茎的“toggle tang”的变体设计,更新材料,利用钛的强度和重量轻,结合Vorpal刀的刀鞘系统,创造一把终极实用格斗刀。理念遵从目标,没有妥协。

I agree Jerry that we come at this from two different directions, and our results look very different. It's interesting that the tapered tang and your grinding method are achieving a knife about the same size and weight and balance! There probably is no such thing as "ultimate" in this effort... whatever we do here and now will be surpassed by those who carry on from us in the future. I am looking towards the idea of doing a titanium/steel laminated blade in order to get the weight down by another ounce or two. It won't be cheap but again... no compromises... if it makes a better knife, we'll do it.
我同意jerry的观点,我们来自两个不同的方向,取得的结果也不同。你采用渐薄柄和研磨方式取得同样大小,重量和平衡,非常有趣。无论我们做什么,我们将被未来的人们超越。我期待一种钛加钢的理念,目的是为了减重1到2盎司。 它可能不便宜,但是不妥协。。。如果它能做一把更好的刀,我们就去干

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-9-25 15:46 | 显示全部楼层
Jerry又来了

I use the term "tactical" to describe my knives because it's a fairly accurate term for what I make. The truth is I make very few "fighters" per se. Nearly all my designs are multifunctional with offensive utility as a capability, but they are not limited to that. Most of my knives are double edged, but the primary edge is always wider, as wide as many single edged knives, for more efficient cutting or chopping. The secondary edge is narrow since even in knife fighting, backcuts are not generally as important as thrusts or forward cuts. Overall my blades are usually wider than conventional fighters, and every knife I make has multifunctional military use as its first responsibility. It must cut, chop, pry, hammer or anything else a soldier wishes to do with it. In fact, in a discussion with a Special Forces soldier I was told the knife needed to be able to skin an antelope (I suspect "antelope" was a code word for someone's sheep or goat) since they had to live off the land most of the time. So, that's why in defining what my knives are, I think the term "tactical" is appropriate. I also agree that the term is often meaningless in describing some of the knives that are labelled as such, since they are more for show than they are for go.
我使用“战术”这个词形容我的刀,因为对我做的刀是相当准确的。真相是我很少做格斗刀(fighter)。几乎我所有的设计都是多功能的,具备进攻,实用的能力,并且不仅限于此。我的大多数刀是双锋的,但是为了更有效的切割和劈砍,主刃一直是比较宽,像单锋的刀一样宽。辅刃窄,用来格斗,刀背切割不像刺入和主刃切割那么重要。总得来说,我的刀通常比传统意义上的格斗刀要宽,而且我做的每一把刀都以多功能军用为第一目的。它必须承担切,砍,撬,砸或者任何一名士兵需要他做的任何事。实际上,在与一名特种部队士兵讨论的时候,我被告知,好用的刀是能够剥羊(antelope)皮,如果他必须依赖大地供给存活。 所以,这就是我为什么这样定义我的刀,我认为"tactical"是很准确的。 我也同意那些经常无意义标榜自己是战术刀的东西,既然它们是拿来秀的更多于使用。

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-9-25 15:48 | 显示全部楼层
The design I make that is probably as close to a "fighter" as I get is my Vengeance model, but as you can see even that has a wide primary edge that can be used for many purposes. I've made these in blade lengths from 3-1/2" to 7"+. I think this one was about 6"

我设计的Vengeance型号的刀可能接近格斗刀(fighter),但是如你们所见,即使这样,它仍然有宽的主刃用于多重目的。我做的刀刃长从3寸半到7寸,我想这只刀是6寸。
user1_pic247_1236961801.jpg

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-9-25 15:49 | 显示全部楼层
By contrast, I have built some of my Retribution models that were designed with military use in mind to be "fighters". This knife has a 6-1/2" blade, is 12-1/2" OAL and weighed just 6.8oz before sharpening

做为对比,我做了Retribution型号的刀,设计给军队使用,这只刀刃长6.5英寸,全长12.5英寸,在开锋前重6.8盎司
user1_pic45_1219691302.jpg

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-9-25 15:50 | 显示全部楼层
On the Titanium/Steel laminate idea I believe IonBond has that capability and may be planning to make some. Several years ago, just before his death, Rob Simonich was talking with them about a Titanium/Talonite laminate. It too was planned but unfortunately the project died with Rob.

关于钛夹钢的想法,我相信IonBond有能力,可以计划制造一些。几年前,就在Rob Simonich去世之前,他还谈起钛夹钢。计划不幸地由于Rob的去世而终止。

I think Bob Terzoula originally used the term "tactical" for the knives he was making while he was in Costa Rica, that were primarily intended for military use if I remember correctly.

我想最早是Bob Terzoula使用战术(tactical)这个词于他制作的刀具,当他还在Costa Rica的时候。如果我记得没错,那些刀主要用于军方

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-9-25 15:51 | 显示全部楼层
关于Tom的

关于Tom的Vorpal,请大家看下面的连接

http://www.shirepost.com/Vorpal.html

还有那首用来命名的诗,也可以找到,哈哈
FrontCover1.jpg
Description.jpg

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-9-25 15:53 | 显示全部楼层
累死我了,还没吃中饭呢

评分

参与人数 1参与分 +38 收起 理由
ericf + 38 谢谢.

查看全部评分

• TA的每日心情
    开心
    2018-2-7 00:39
  • 签到天数: 35 天

[LV.5]常住居民I

发表于 2009-9-25 16:20 | 显示全部楼层
    好长, 刀挺漂亮的.
  • TA的每日心情

2013-6-26 17:34
  • 签到天数: 2 天

[LV.1]初来乍到

发表于 2009-9-25 17:19 | 显示全部楼层

http://www.funsn.com.cn/

鞘很特工

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-9-25 17:49 | 显示全部楼层
    -
    -
    -
    -
             这个刀的携带方式有意思!
  • TA的每日心情

2013-6-27 07:18
  • 签到天数: 2 天

[LV.1]初来乍到

发表于 2009-9-25 17:51 | 显示全部楼层
    顶了,谢谢楼主的劳动,楼主实乃论坛之栋梁。
  • TA的每日心情
    奋斗
    2013-7-13 09:09
  • 签到天数: 5 天

[LV.2]偶尔看看I

发表于 2009-9-25 20:16 | 显示全部楼层
    鞘的方式特别啊,顶一头。
  • TA的每日心情
    开心
    2020-3-18 21:51
  • 签到天数: 1 天

[LV.1]初来乍到

发表于 2009-9-25 20:57 | 显示全部楼层
    轻和薄也越来越成为我眼中一把便于切割的刀子的标准
    楼主很辛苦
    此帖要很火
    留名···

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-9-25 21:41 | 显示全部楼层
    两位师傅说出了偏近于格斗的战术刀的-----我想了又想还是不在这里加"几乎"二字-----所有细节和要素{:3_65:}

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-9-26 07:56 | 显示全部楼层

http://www.szngst.cn/

支持鼓励楼主的劳动!我前两天一直给公司做翻译。等有时间了,看到好文章了,也给论坛翻译一些。

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-9-26 10:45 | 显示全部楼层

Jerry Hossom如是说

本帖最后由 nut 于 2009-9-26 10:51 编辑

One thing that I harp on a lot about knives and knife design is to focus exclusively on the purpose of the knife and allow cosmetics and most everything else to be secondary issues. Issues that should NEVER be part of the design process are "what's cool", "what are other knifemakers making", "how are other makers doing it", "what can I do that's just different from everything else", and "what are most people buying"? Once those things begin to dictate your design process, what you'll end up with is a knife that has little bearing on tactical or any other reality.
    我唠叨了很多,刀的制作与设计应该注重刀的使用目的,装饰和其他的东西位于次席。“真酷!”,“别的刀匠也在做”,“别的刀匠是如何做的”,“我做的与别人都不同”,“人们最想买什么”,这些都不应该成为刀具设计中应该考虑的问题。一旦这些东西指挥了你的设计,你做的刀只有一小部分能称作战术刀具。

For example, when was the last time you saw a tactical knife using steel thinner than 3/16"? Many are 1/4" thick! Why...?
    举个例子,你最后一次看到一把战术刀具使用厚度小于3/16英寸(4.8mm)的钢材是什么时候?很多刀都是1/4英寸(6.4mm)厚。为什么?

...Because that's what most knifemakers use and what many customers think is needed for "strength" in a tactical knife. And you need "strength" because...? You rarely need "strength"; what you need is integrity, sufficient strength for the task and no more. Excess strength = excess weight. Excess weight = slow. Slow = a very bad day. Now, I'll back off from that just a little bit by adding that you can have extra strength IF it doesn't add weight. Tom's fighter with the titanium handle most certainly does not add weight and is probably one of the strongest handle designs I've ever seen. However, most knifemakers use thick, heavy steel to add "strength" far beyond what's required for integrity. 95% of my knives use steel thinner than 3/16", and many are thinner than 5/32". The steel in the Retribution above was 0.140", but that full thickness of steel is maintained in the spine for about 2/3 the length of the blade and the spine is probably no less than 0.100" thick to within 1/4" of the point. I can achieve that because I use small wheels to do the grinds, a 5" diameter wheel for the primary edge and a 2" diameter wheel for the secondary edge. Is it strong enough? It's stronger than many knife blades that begin with 1/4" thick steel at the ricasso and are distal tapered to the point, causing the blade to be 1/8" or less thick through the entire forward half of its length and much less than that an inch or so behind the point. If it's double edged it might be even less. Where's a blade going to break? In modern steels they shouldn't break at all, but if they do it will be where the steel is thin and most easily bent, near the point. So what is gained by having 1/4" steel at the ricasso where it's not going to break anyway? None.

因为大部分的刀匠和客户需要在一把战术刀上体现“强度”。你需要“强度”,因为。。。。?你很少需要“强度”,你真正需要的是全面,足够的强度胜任工作,不是其他的。额外的强度=额外的重量,额外的重量=慢,慢=糟糕的一天。现在,我要谈谈可以不增加重量,只加一些东西就可以获得额外的强度。Tom的格斗刀使用钛柄,没有增加重量,可能是我见过的最强壮的刀柄设计。然而,大部分刀匠使用厚的,重的钢材,来增加强度,远远超出了对于刀整体的需求。我95%的刀使用的钢材不超过3/16英寸(4.8mm)的钢材,有些刀厚度不超过5/32英寸(4mm)。上面“Retribution”的钢材厚度是0.140英寸(3.56mm),刀最厚的地方是刀刃的2/3长度,位于刀脊的地方。刀脊不低于0.100英寸(2.54mm),不超过刀尖的1/4英寸(6.4mm)的厚度。我能做到,因为我使用小直径的研磨轮,研磨主刃用5英寸的,副刃用2英寸的。足够强壮吗?有些刀在刀颈的位置是1/4英寸厚度,到刀尖渐薄,刃长一半的地方或者离刀尖一英寸的地方的厚度是1/8英寸,它比这些刀要强壮。如果是双锋,可能更薄。一把刀哪里最容易断?现代钢做的刀很难断掉,如果断了,肯定是最薄最容易弯曲的地方,靠近刀尖。所以1/4英寸的刀颈,它又不容易在这个位置断掉,为什么要这么做呢?None

But, you have to be prepared to pay the price of not following the pack. More than once I've sat at a table at a knife show next to a maker who had 1/4" thick, tactical boat anchors on his table, and watched a customer pick up one of his knives, heft it, then tell him how great the balance is. I find that very depressing, especially when the same customer then picks up one
    of my knives, hefts it, frowns, puts it down and walks on.

但是你必须做好准备为不遵循这个规则付出代价。我不止一次在坐在刀展的桌前,旁边是另外一个刀匠,桌上放着他1/4英寸厚的战术船锚,并且看到一个顾客拿起他的刀,掂了掂,告诉他这刀的平衡真棒。我很郁闷,特别是当同一个顾客拿起我的刀,掂了掂,皱皱眉头,放下,走人。

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-9-26 11:48 | 显示全部楼层

Tom如是说

I've had that too. Fortunately there are some folks like Eli around  that help to even the score! But there are plenty of armchair warriors who don't know what a knife is supposed to feel like.
    我也遇到过,幸运的是,还有像Eli这样的人在身边。但是有很多坐在扶手椅上的勇士不知道一把刀应该是什么样子的。
    I'm going to give away a big secret here about light knives. THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM AROUND. There... I said it! It's just that not many of them are on knifemaker's tables at shows. Sometime visit a shop that sells professional chef knives and butchering blades. These people use a knife all day every day... they will not put up with a heavy piece (unless it's a chopper).
    我要泄露一个关于轻刀的秘密。到处都是重量轻的刀。我说的是那里,但是不是在刀展的刀匠的桌子上。有次我参观一家售卖专业厨刀和屠宰刀的工厂。这些人每天全天都使用一把刀,他们不使用重的刀(除非是一把斩骨刀)。
    I make high end defensive knives for people who want them. They're built with the idea of no-compromise and embody a melding of traditional and modern techniques. But when asked... I will sometimes tell people that the most cost effective defensive knife will be purchased from a kitchen supply store, or possibly a flea market. It may need a bit of reshaping and perhaps a new handle, but the blades are usually very nicely ground and quite thin and light. You can make a very serviceable temporary sheath from cardboard... like the thin cardboard of cereal boxes... and clear wrapping tape. Alternatively the terephthalate they use for soda bottles and blister packs is a serviceable thermoplastic that can be warmed and pressed into a sheath. If I were stuck someplace weird and needed a knife, I'd try to find some sort of kitchen slicer, and see if I could locate some abrasives or a stone to work it on... maybe reshape the handle... put a blazing edge on it... and make myself a concealment sheath out of dumpster materials.... could probably put the whole thing together for $20 cost and a day of time, and it would probably by at least 75% as serviceable as the top-end ultralight custom. (and 350% MORE serviceable than the more commonplace "boat-anchor" customs... or ANY folder.)
    我为需要的人制作高端防卫刀具。它们基于我不妥协的理念,是传统与现代技术的融合。但是当有人问到我,我会告诉他们最有效的防卫刀具是从厨具店或者是跳蚤市场买的。它可能需要重新改型,装一个新的柄,但是刀刃通常研磨非常好,很薄很轻。你可以用一块厚纸板,类似装谷物的盒子,清除掉胶带,做一个临时的鞘。也可以选择苏打瓶子或者发泡包装用的PETE材料,通过加热、塑型放到鞘里。如果我在某地需要一把刀,我会找一把厨房的切片刀。看看能否找到磨刀石。。。也许我把柄会改型,刀刃锋利,用垃圾桶的材料做一个隐蔽刀鞘。所有的东西只要20美金,一天的时间。它可以完成高端定制超轻刀的75%的工作(比那些定制“船锚”和一些折刀好很多350%)

But you know... knives have been around for a really REALLY long time... you can learn a LOT from studying a collection of prison-made shivs. Check out the ones made from spoons!

但是你知道,刀具出现真的真的很长很长时间了。你可以从收藏监狱里制作的刀子学到很多。看看汤匙做的刀

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-9-26 11:56 | 显示全部楼层
    这些刀,都好有个性
    您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表